[opensource-dev] A note on preserving "NO WARRANTY" for SL TPV developers

Adric R hakushakukun at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 20:16:07 PDT 2010

Regardless of LL's intentions, the TPV policy as currently written has
certain problems that LL has seemingly decided not to address. Protecting
their assets is one thing--and LL has every right to do so--but wielding a
mallet against the opensource community in the process is quite another
matter entirely. If LL wishes to have a productive ecosystem for viewers,
I'm all for it. But the TPV policy creates the opposite.

If anyone at LL is sad over the current situation, I hope they're speaking
to their own legal team about fixing the legitimate issues that have been
raised. Otherwise, TPV developers have to cover their bases, too (which in
our case means ceasing to support connecting to Second Life).

Regards,

McCabe Maxsted
http://www.imprudenceviewer.org

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Jonathan Irvin <djfoxyslpr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Keep in mind, it's not LL that's saying it, it is their lawyers.  Like I
> said, LL is protecting their assets.  The best way for them to do that is by
> hiring good lawyers who can cover all the bases.
>
> Jonathan Irvin

"Work is love made visible." — Kahlil Gibran

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear
into an age of unreason if we dig deep in our history and doctrine and
remember that we are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared
to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes which were for the
moment unpopular. We can deny our heritage and our history, but we cannot
escape responsibility for the result. There is no way for a citizen of the
Republic to abdicate his responsibility." -- Edward R. Murrow, March 9, 1954