[opensource-dev] Can you legally agree to incomprehensible conditions

Glen Canaday gcanaday at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 09:51:55 PDT 2010

They won't accept viewer developers because the viewer is GPL and they
want to be absolutely sure that only BSD code gets in. If the viewer
code weren't virally licensed (as the GPL is), they'd probably be more
than happy to accept viewer-developer patches. Geeked as all get-out,
I'd imagine. It's the same reason why they will not accept patches from
anyone who is known to have seen the LL server code. They can't be sure
there's no LL-proprietary licensing stuff going on. See this:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Contributions_Policy

... all of which I can completely understand.

It's a good thing I haven't had time to view the code itself so I'm
still open to choose a project. Though I *HAVE* decided that I will not
work on a TPV... it's Snowglobe if it's going to be anything viewer
related. I'm actually rather surprised no one's said anything about the
merges of GPL code into viewer-internal. That bugged me more than the
TPV stuff.

I dunno about mono, though. I'm not too keen on learning yet another
language. My brain's kinda full as it is and I would LOVE to branch the
viewer into UI, rendering, network, and DB modules so that any one
module can be upgraded at any time without any significant impact on any
other.

--GC