[opensource-dev] Requesting Linden Response: Please move TPVP Topics to a different mailing list

Discrete Dreamscape discrete.dreamscape at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 09:40:11 PDT 2010

"Many coders would likely accept liability when being paid well, or possibly
at all. But in the case of open source code created as a hobby, the GPL idea
of no warranty has so far been successful in the community because code can
be inspected by its users, and because the users can verify, alter, and fix
any problems in it on their own, so they shouldn't claim fault on the
developer when it was their own choice to use the code. However, in LL's
case, they don't even get to choose whether they use your code. Anyone can
basically force it upon their service to feel the effects of using arbitrary
viewer code. Thus, since there is no choice, ultimately some liability is
inherent."

Basically, consent does agree on both sides. LL is forced into the situation
by the nature of their service, and starting April 30th, developers consent
as well, if they wish to use the service.