[opensource-dev] Requesting Linden Response: Please move TPVPTopics to a different mailing list

Michael Daniel m.a.daniel at iup.edu
Thu Apr 15 15:12:49 PDT 2010

VR Hacks wrote:
>> I mean you can't legally be held liable for users who refuse to follow a
>> contract they made with you, can you?
>>

> Sure you can. After all, if you write malicious code, you know you're doing
> it.
I stand corrected, then.  I wasn't really talking about malicious code,
though.  I was just talking about protection from the worst-case
scenario where a client has an unintended bug in it that causes rolling
restarts, then LL comes after the 3rd party dev for damages.  I meant to
talk about incompetent coders, not malicious coders (I know that none of
the coders on this mailing list fit either description, but it's still
something to think about).  Even LL sidesteps liability for damages done
by the official viewer, so why shouldn't 3rd party devs try to do the
same thing?

On a different subject:  Is Fractured Crystal correct in the following
video when he says that he is not breaking TOS with the Onyx viewer
because he only distributes the source code and not the binaries of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRbV9SIbdCA&feature=player_embedded
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRbV9SIbdCA&feature=player_embedded>

Thanks,
~Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia