[opensource-dev] ParcelAccessListReply packets have no reliable end of list indication?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 07:15:49 PDT 2010

On 2010-04-19, at 19:42, Joshua Bell wrote:
> That's a completely different issue. The lower level transport
> protocol guarantees reliable delivery of certain types of messages -
> packets are ack'd and resent if missed.

1. Are these messages actually being handled by that mechanism?

2. I have seen similar failure modes in downloads over TCP where the
end-user software declined to cross reference the expected size of the
file and the size of the file actually transferred and reported a
complete transfer when it wasn't actually completed. Not only does the
lower level transport have to guarantee delivery, the higher level has
to notice whether that happened or not. Telling it how many objects to
expect (size of the file) or transferring a terminating token (eg, the
way zip puts the directory at the end of the archive... which is how I
discovered this problem) is a common safeguard.