[opensource-dev] Viewer blacklist to replace the TPV directory ?

Robert Martin robertltux at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 04:46:48 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:30 AM,  <tillie at xp2.de> wrote:
> Henri Beauchamp <sldev at free.fr> wrote ..
>
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 03:41:50 -0700, Rob Nelson wrote:
>>
>> > This is a bad idea, as the TPV violators would merely migrate to a
>> > non-blacklisted viewer.
>>
>> If they do, and after some time, the only non-blacklisted viewers
>> left will be the TPV compliant ones, so that's actually a good thing...
>
> No, maintaining a WHITELIST is way better. And I am thinking not of the bad guys now but the regular users who just want to use a client with additional features.
>
> With a whitelist they know: this I can use without problems.
>
> With a blacklist they never know if a client NOT on the list is a good one or a bad one that just didn't make it into the blacklist yet.
>
> And for the bad guys: they would just rename their client if their old one got on the blacklist. And do this each time again.
>
> So a whitelist is the only valid solution.
>
> Tillie

and as it happens there actually is a BlackList project running by the
same folks that run one of the viewers on the current Whitelist. as of
Friday there will be 3 lists of viewers
1 the TPVd list: run by Linden Labs functions as a Whitelist
2 the Onyx List:  posted on the site of that green viewer and is a
subset of the list used by the CDS banlink system
3 everything Else (including source mods of the above viewers) this
would be a grey list

Given that The Onyx list is complete somebody needs to state that only
those viewers will draw an actual ban (or use of a "hostile" viewer
that just has yet to be listed).

--
Robert L Martin