No subject

Wed Apr 28 21:25:55 PDT 2010

Mitch Wagner
"Fast, Easy, Fun" with Second Life founder Philip Rosedale

Viewer 2 also needs to be beefed up for Second Life content creators, who
nearly universally criticize the software as a giant step  backward from th=
previous version. "We'll rapidly make the Viewer 2 codebase have the
capabilities that everybody wants," Rosedale said.

from: http://blogs.computerworld.com/16905/second_life

I've been watching LL and using SL almost every day for 4.5 years.  The
course you
are setting in motion will have this effect:

   - developers will focus on the 1.x codebase, or on Kirsten's 2.x work.
   They only have so many unpaid cycles to work.  They will apply them to w=
here
   they see the community getting the most benefit.
   - If LL shuts off 1.x access, and if the viewer does not have 1.x UI
   features, many in the community will migrate to OpenSim-based grids.
   - A common viewer code base outside of LL will come into being.
   Compatibility with SL will become a lower priority item.

The other trend is that ultimately, many will realize that it is easier to
migrate to a Unity3D foundation, and add SL-specific features to that, than
it is to try to meld the 1.x or 2.x codebases into something with that leve=
of quality.

Daniel Smith / Bucky Barkley

--=20
Daniel Smith - Sonoma County, California
http://daniel.org/resume

--0016e6ddab478081af048febefb5

en (Scott Lawrence) <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:oz at lindenlab.co=
te" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204=
, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

Eventually (and there is _no_ plan for when this will be - certainly<br>
longer than 3 months), it will no longer be possible for us to continue<br>
to support viewers based on the 1.x code base (including our own), and<br>
you need to reconsider your booming Wizard of Oz proclamation<br>of:<br><br=
px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;" class=3D"gmail_quote">
=93Don=92t waste everyones time suggesting that we throw away Viewer 2, or=
=20
that we revert the UI to Viewer 1. It is absolutely not going to<br>
happen, and any suggestion to that effect will be ignored.=94<br><br>from: =
msg02459.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.mail-archive.com/opensource-dev=
@lists.secondlife.com/msg02459.html</a><br>
 puzzle pieces together which will result in quite a migration of users (an=
d viewer developers) away from LL.<br><br>An interesting note is that you h=
ave only been at LL (and apparently, in SL) for only 4 months.=A0 You are m=
aking a decision on something where 90% of the community has much more expe=
rience than you.<br>
Mitch Wagner<br>&quot;Fast, Easy, Fun&quot; with Second Life founder Philip=
 Rosedale<br><br>Viewer
 2 also needs to be beefed up for Second Life content creators, who=20
nearly universally criticize the software as a giant step=A0
backward from the previous version. &quot;We&#39;ll rapidly make the Viewer=
 2=20
codebase have the capabilities that everybody wants,&quot; Rosedale said.<b=
r><br>from: <a href=3D"http://blogs.computerworld.com/16905/second_life" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://blogs.computerworld.com/16905/second_life</a><br><br=

5 years.=A0 The course you<br>are setting in motion will have this effect:<=
br><ul><li>developers will focus on the 1.x codebase, or on Kirsten&#39;s 2=
.x work.=A0 They only have so many unpaid cycles to work.=A0 They will appl=
y them to where they see the community getting the most benefit.</li>
<li>If LL shuts off 1.x access, and if the viewer does not have 1.x UI feat=
ures, many in the community will migrate to OpenSim-based grids.</li><li>A =
common viewer code base outside of LL will come into being.=A0 Compatibilit=
y with SL will become a lower priority item.<br>
</li></ul>The other trend is that ultimately, many will realize that it is =
easier to migrate to a Unity3D foundation, and add SL-specific features to =
that, than it is to try to meld the 1.x or 2.x codebases into something wit=
h that level of quality.<br>
 - Sonoma County, California<br><a href=3D"http://daniel.org/resume">http:/=

--0016e6ddab478081af048febefb5--