[opensource-dev] Open Viewer Development Announcement

Gwynn Gunawan gwynn.gunawan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 09:43:21 PDT 2010

Gang,

ok, sorry, cool, but I still feel uncomfortable. Viewer 2 was for
users, less so for creators. Creating got harder. I might be cursing
in church but 'd like to see a Viewer, for Joe Random Sixpack crossing
the street, and a Creator. You don't create web pages in a browser.
You don't create video's in youtube. "If you would also like to create
content for Second Life, click here to download the additional tools"
I don't, in general, like to fork.
I like the way LL is heading with this, and it's OS commitment but I'm
starting to think we try to kill too many birds with not enough
stones.

Also, I'm now in a pub (in Glasgow) and respond a bit impulsively.

regards
~gg

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence)
<oz at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> What’s Next For The Second Life Viewer?
>
> Linden Lab spent the better part of the last two years revamping the Second
> Life Viewer to create Viewer 2. Some of the changes were important new
> features, and some were controversial - some were both. The bulk of the
> design and engineering work was done with only limited, indirect
> participation from the open source and resident communities, which has left
> many in those communities feeling alienated and disenfranchised.
> In recent months we have released both Viewer 2 and a 2.1 update; Linden Lab
> has also been through a major reorganization. We are now evaluating the
> results of all of this work, and we are making significant changes to the
> way we design and build the viewer.
>
> Introducing Snowstorm
>
> Linden Lab has created a new team whose goal is to develop the Second Life
> Viewer in the open and in response to the needs of our Residents. Here are
> our goals:
>
> Show Residents continuous visible progress
>
> Work in the open by sharing not only our code, but our process publicly --
> this includes our backlog and our discussion about it.
> Engage with the open source community and aggressively accept good work the
> community does into our product.
> Release new ‘Development’ Viewers frequently -- our initial target is
> bi-weekly.  All builds from the ‘Development’ branch are visible and
> available for testing.
>
> Improve the user experience
>
> Make continuous improvements to the design and implementation of the
> Viewer’s user interface.
> Import desirable patches and features from Snowglobe and other Third Party
> Viewers.
> Add small features and fixes that have high value and low cost, while still
> remaining consistent with an overall product vision.
>
> Renew and deepen our relationship with the community
>
> Integrate community work directly into our main line Viewer rather than
> routing it through Snowglobe first.
> Demonstrate rapid responsiveness to feedback and patches from community.
> Engage continuously with the community to develop new project proposals and
> provide resources that open source developers need to be effective.
>
> How Snowstorm Works
>
> Viewer development has moved to a single open source model
>
> There are no longer internal ‘private’ and external ‘public’ versions.
> Viewer source (with the exception of one wrapper library we cannot legally
> release), is now in public Mercurial source repositories. All viewer
> integration is happening in the Development repository at
>http://hg.secondlife.com/viewer-development’. It is used by all Linden Lab
> viewer development teams, and open source developers are encouraged to pull
> from that repository and submit changes for integration to it.
>
> Code in the Development repository is now released under version 2 of the
> GNU LGPL

> [...]

Don't fight back. Fight forward.