[opensource-dev] Open Viewer Development Announcement

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at fishkill.ibm.com
Mon Aug 16 10:29:11 PDT 2010

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) wrote:
>     * Improve the user experience
>           o Make continuous improvements to the design and
>             implementation of the Viewer’s user interface.

Will the User Experience office hours be resurrected?  Will anyone go
back and look at the archives of past meetings that Lindens did not attend?

>           o There are no longer internal ‘private’ and external ‘public’
>             versions. Viewer source (with the exception of one wrapper
>             library we cannot legally release), is now in public
>             Mercurial source repositories. All viewer integration is
>             happening in the Development repository at
>http://hg.secondlife.com/viewer-development’. It is used by
>             all Linden Lab viewer development teams, and open source
>             developers are encouraged to pull from that repository and
>             submit changes for integration to it.

Will the SLVoice source code be made available?

> We publish both what we’re working on (in public Jira issues and on our
> Sprint Backlog) and the projects we’d like to do (our Product Backlog).

Does that mean more than a few Lindens will read and comment on the
PJIRA or will this just be excerpts copied from the internal JIRA?

> Within Linden Lab, many different groups are doing Viewer development;
> the Snowstorm team manages the Development branch, coordinates
> contributions from open source, and does rapid small feature development
> itself.
> Snowstorm is:
>
>     * Q Linden - Tech Lead, Team Lead
>     * Esbee Linden - Product/Business Lead
>     * Oz Linden - Open Source Lead
>     * Merov, Aimee, Tofu, and three external contract developers
>     * and, crucially, the open source community.

Wait a minute.  Does that mean that Linden will still be doing most of
its "development" in private while a few Lindens will be participating
in "Development"?  That sounds like Snowglobe.

Mike