[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Wed Aug 18 01:20:03 PDT 2010

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:55:53 -0700, Kelly Linden wrote:

> (lets move this to the scripters list?)
>
> I need to refresh myself on this. There should be 3 names:
> user name: latif.khalifa
> full name: Latif Khalifa
> display name: The Awesome Latif
>
> Most (all?) the existing LSL functions will return the 'full name'. I also
> find it confusing to use Kelly DifferentLastName as an example display name.
> This isn't about picking a new last name. It is about being just 'Kelly' or
> 'Teh Kellz'. Sorry, it was just part of what was confusing me about the
> previous examples.
>
> A new user is:
> user name: john1234
> full name: john1234 Resident
> display name: john

Why restricting new user names to "Resident" ?

It will only make the choice for the first name more dificult, since
"John" will be taken by the first new resident registering it, and then
others will have no other choice than to use numbers or weird characters
to register and we will end up with IRC-like names like John12345 and
John54321, which will make it only more difficult to distinguish all the
Johns from each others in-world (for identification purpose, such as
objects ownership, anti-griefing and stuff).

Why not, instead, letting the new user choose their full name (first
and second name) as they wish (provided it doesn't collide with an
existing one, of course), just like what happens in almost all OpenSim
grids ?

Henri.