[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

Anders Arnholm anders at arnholm.se
Wed Aug 18 15:01:51 PDT 2010

2010-08-18 01:42, Aimee Linden skrev:
> No, that's not the case, display names are not returned to the existing LSL functions. Your existing account will always be seen as Andromeda Quonset to existing scripts no matter what you change your display name to.
>
> New LSL calls used to return display names to new scripts equally will not be a problem for older viewers either, what viewer you are running makes no difference to a script which is running on the server.
>
> Aimee.

It will be, depenign on the use of the name returned.

If you used the old LSL functions, users of the old viewers will
understand the output of the scripts. But new users only having
DispalyName-UserName will not have the connections and see chat as the
old usernames, Using that for llSay() would be very confusing for the user.

Script using the new interfaces will on the other hand be writing out
DisplayNames, These displaynames will be impossible for users of the old
viewers to connect to any person around. This makes the scripts not work
for users of the old viewers.

As scripter you Can't write a product that uses the name of the people
around and get any good result. Any of the three names you choose will
not work for one of the user groups. You are borked.

Having unique names to be used for residents solved all the probems we
have in like email systems with Joe.a.Doe at example.com ...
Joe.z.Doe at example.com where no one knew who was a, b, z etc.

The change will not only make working products fail for users of the new
viewer, it will make it impossible to make a product that works for all
users in the sim.

/ Balp

believed to be clean.