[opensource-dev] To Pie or To List

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 17:23:37 PDT 2010

(Figured this topic needed it's own thread)

I've had issues myself with the new list format menu... But they wind
up being different issues than I had with the old pie menu.

With the old pie menu I found myself accidentally deleting objects, or
otherwise having problems, when I moved my mouse rapidly: I'm
occasionally fumble-fingered with my mouse when I lift it for
repositioning, especially when I'm tired and working fast. With the
new menu, I've not had this issue.  +1.

With the new menu, I've almost reported abuse/returned/etc my own
items. -1.  It seems to me a little weird that those options show up
when clicking on something you are both the creator and owner of.
It's still a little weird even if not the creator, but still the
owner!  Since the only item in that sublist that makes any sense (to
me) in this context is the delete option, I believe it should be the
topmost, if not the only option.  Furthermore, if I don't have the
privileges to return an item the return option should be either
removed or grayed out.

The new menu has (almost) everything at the highest level, with less
often (or long) sets grouped into hover menus. +1.  The list format is
also a more common, and thusly an easier to (re)learn, UI element than
the pie, which took me months to get familiar with.  I was used to the
list in a day, so was the rest of my family. +1.

However, there were items in the old pie that were really useful, and
those weren't in the new list. -1.  Some of those were listed in the
mods on the wiki, and are being re-introduced. +1.

Ricky
Cron Stardust