[opensource-dev] Please - enough about the CA

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Wed Aug 18 20:12:25 PDT 2010

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Henri Beauchamp<sldev at free.fr>  wrote:
>> SL is the ONLY so-called (but actually still not, obviously: a Canada-Dry
>> LGPL, perhaps ?) LGPL Open Source project requiring a License agreement
>> from its contributors !!!  This makes strictly no sense and is a clear
>> impairement.
>
> Axiom, OpenOffice, NetBeans, Joomla!, Alfresco, ...

    and all projects under the Apache Foundation.

        http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

    and the Perl Foundation

        http://www.perlfoundation.org/contributor_license_agreement

    and the Python Foundation

        http://www.python.org/psf/contrib/contrib-form-python/

none of which are in any way commercial, and all of whom embody the
ideals to which other open source projects aspire.

I know that some of you won't sign an agreement, and that you have
reasons you think are good.  I accept that whether I agree with those
reasons or not, while deeply regreting not being able to share in your
work.

If any of you are unsure what the implications of the agreement are, I
am happy to provide what assistance I can if you contact me _off_ of the
list (but I am not a lawyer, and crucially I am not _your_ lawyer).

There may come a time when Linden Lab will revisit the requirement for
or the terms of the CA.  If I'm still here, I'll let the community know
when that is happening.

For the time being, changing the CA is not on the table - we've got
other things to spend our time and energy on at the moment - like making
Second Life Fast, Easy, and Fun.

If you feel the need to continue to rail against the CA, please take it
somewhere else and leave this list to people who are trying to do the
things that are possible now.