[opensource-dev] Workaround for build issues on Gentoo Linux; Using CMake directly instead of develop.py (was: Update Linux Build Documentation, please?)

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Thu Aug 19 03:33:00 PDT 2010

 Hi Tapple

Welcome to the opensource-dev and to Snowglobe and snowstorm
development/testing!

On 08/19/2010 04:36 AM, Tapple Gao wrote:
> I'm on Gentoo Linux, and the build instructions for Linux [1] have
> never worked for me (./develop.py cmake; ./develop.py build).
For default (i.e. non-standalone) building on Gentoo, you might require
the workaround at User:Michelle2 Zenovka/cmake#Gentoo
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Michelle2_Zenovka/cmake#Gentoo>.
(Yes, it were the imprudence folks who documented it. Big thanks to them!)

> I've talked with some people on IRC, and I'm now under the
> impression that develop.py is rather obsolete, which may be part
> of my problem.
As far as I know, develop.py isn't required anymore on Linux (I'm not
sure about other platforms), but it is still the default way of
building, so I wouldn't call it obsolete just yet. (IMHO we should work
towards making it obsolete, though.)

<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_and_Patching_Snowglobe_%28Linux%29>

> However, that doesn't really help me, as I have
> no idea how to use cmake.
I prefer to use CMake directly. If you want to try that, too, you can
find some comprehensive (but maybe partially outdated) documentation at
User:Michelle2 Zenovka/cmake
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Michelle2_Zenovka/cmake> and a
quick step-by-step reference at Compiling and Patching Snowglobe (Linux)
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_and_Patching_Snowglobe_%28Linux%29>.

> Also, the build instructions have a lot of caveats for
> standalone builders, which, as someone who has never even been
> able to complete a non-standalone build, I am rather confused
> by.
>
> So, I'd like it if someone could update the linux build
> documentation, and make it really easy for first-time
> (non-standalone) builders to follow:
>
> - Show how to use cmake rather than develop.py
Question to everyone: Are there cases (on Linux) where develop.py is
still required? Otherwise I think we can deprecate it (on Linux) easily,
by replacing it in the build documentation with the appropriate CMake
commands.

What about other platforms? Is it always needed, there?

> - seperate out standalone and non-standalone into seperate
>   documents
I think when Aleric and others recently revised Compiling the viewer
(Linux)
<https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_%28Linux%29>,
there was a conscious decision to keep both, standalone and
non-standalone in a single wiki article, but I'm not sure I remember
that correctly. The main problem when separating them will be to keep
them in sync when common requirements or common steps change. This could
be solved by common transclusions, but those seem to confuse unaware
editors.

For the moment, the sections that are only relevant for standalone
should be clearly marked as such in the section title, so it shouldn't
be too difficult to skip over them when they do not apply to you.

> As an aside, the Imprudence viewer team has really overhauled
> the build process, and as a result, Imprudence is the only
> viewer that is actually able to find all my libraries and
> complete a build from an svn checkout. I would strongly suggest
> you integrate their build changes into the main viewer.
Are these changes documented somewhere? Which commits are part of this
overhaul? If it isn't too difficult, I'd be willing to apply and test
them on my hg repo
<http://bitbucket.org/boroondas/snowstorm-development>. (I can only test
standalone myself, though, due to 64bit OS.) Pulling them into
lindenlab/viewer-development
<http://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/viewer-development> might not be
possible due to CA requirements, though.

> If there is really going to be more focus on open source, it is
> really important to make sure new people like me are able to
> compile the viewer from source.
ACK

cheers
Boroondas