[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

David M Chess chess at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 19 13:07:19 PDT 2010

Daniel Smith <javajoint at gmail.com>:

>The focus here is identity within SL.  We work hard to craft our AVs
>and our reputations.  If you want to use your analogy, you would be
>the only David_Chess at SomeSLUser.com.  Now, do you want someone
>impersonating that?  Because that's the sort of thing I am getting at
>with the displaynames functionality.

Well put!  I think the shift that is happening here is that we're used to
all names in SL being like "user at host.com", which we assume to be
relatively reliable.

The additon of display names means that there will also be names in SL
that are more like what someone puts in their email sig, which we know to
be completely unreliable.

While it does require a shift of thinking for us oldbies, I don't think
that it's all that difficult a shift of thinking, and the advantages in
flexibility are significant.

Where we do want reliable identities, usernames (the equivalent of
"user at host.com") will still be easily accessible.  As I see Torley has
been busily updating the Wiki page to assure us...  :)

DC/DI
Emperor of Earth

(See what I did there? :) )

___