[opensource-dev] To Pie or To List

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 17:48:52 PDT 2010

Either way, I still see it as of little use with objects I own or am
the creator of!

As regards the order for objects for which I am neither creator nor
owner I have no suggestion.  The current order might make sense.  Then
again, Do I ever have permission to /Delete/ someone else's objects?
Not so far as I know.  /Return/ would be the only available option,
and then only if I have edit privs on the owner's goods, am in a group
that allows me to return other's goods on the given parcel, or am the
landowner.

This is starting to sound like it's time for a list:
* I am Owner
** "Report Abuse" is deactivated (Doesn't make sense!)
** "Block" is active (I may want to mute my own objects after all!)
** "Return" is deactivated
** "Delete" is active
* I am Creator but not Owner and I have no privileges granted
** "Report Abuse" is deactivated (NOTE)
** "Block" is active
** "Return" is deactivated
** "Delete" is deactivated
* I have been either granted Edit on the Owner's goods, am a member of
a group that the land is deeded to, the group I'm a part of has return
privs, or I am the land owner:
** "Report Abuse" is active
** "Block" is active
** "Return" is active
** "Delete" is deactivated (Unless for some reason land owners can
delete objects.... This I am unsure of.  Typically I've seen them
return items.)
* Otherwise (Not Creator, Not Owner, No Privs)
** "Report Abuse" is active
** "Block" is active
** "Return" is deactivated
** "Delete" is deactivated

(NOTE) There may be a use case here for "Report Abuse" to be active on
an object I am the creator of, but not the owner: If the object is
modifiable, it's parts may have been used to make something offensive.
 I'd rather keep the option open in this case.

Order may be largely a preference, but I think that "Delete" should be
topmost, if available as an option.  However this may create another
usability issue if the order of items in the menu follows a logical,
but seemingly random to beginners, order depending on context: A first
timer would have difficulty knowing beforehand which item will be in
what position in the menu.  So the order may need to be fixed, just
having unusable elements grayed out and deactivated in certain
contexts.

Ricky
Cron Stardust