[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 22:33:25 PDT 2010

On 20/08/2010 2:51 PM, Baloo Uriza wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:53:18 -0700, Daniel Smith wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Baloo Uriza
>> <baloo at ursamundi.org>  wrote:

>>> I'm going to hazard to guess the answer is "nothing."  If anything,
>>> this brings SL into better parity with the real world, where many
>>> people might have the same name.
>>>

>> Thanks for playing.  Just sign up last week?
> Given that my last name is Uriza and Display Names aren't rolled out yet
> to my knowledge, I believe it's clear I did not.
>
>> If they do nothing, situations will occur that will end up in court.
>> Bet on it.
> Sure, but even if that's the case, I can't fathom a single situation
> (other than a Linden employee abusing Display Names) that would cause the
> Lindens to be named as a defendant (and not get laughed out of court by
> the judge).
Ah, perhaps I can help there. /Marvel vs NCsoft/ (docket: CV
04-9253RGKPLAX, 9 March, 2005, California district court).

Marvel (back before they had Disney's legion of undead lawyers) sued
NCsoft over City of Heroes, because the character creator allowed users
to create avatars that had similar likenesses to or similar names to
Marvel trademarks. NCsoft eventually capitulated and settled.

--
Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/