[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Fri Aug 20 01:23:00 PDT 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 20:08:07 -0400, <mysticaldemina at xrgrid.com> wrote:
> Seems like twitter has a pretty good solution.  Display names are
unique.
> And your login account isn't public so you have better security.

Are you sure? As far as I know, things are quite different:

- login account (that Twitter calls "Username") is public

- in my case, Username = "oobscure"
- full name (properly "Name") in my case is "Opensource Obscure"
- in your case, Name = Username = "MysticalDemina"

- other people publicly use my Username to "mention" me ("@oobscure")
- Twitter website and 3rd party apps show these names in various ways
- you can change both Username and Name in any moment
- by changing your Username, your Twitter URL changes too

Twitter fake personalities indeed exist and that's why Twitter
also implemented the "Verified name" thing, that implies
an identity verification process.

Opensource Obscure