[opensource-dev] Display names, again.

Stickman stickman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 03:03:39 PDT 2010

> I am talking about someone creating any random throwaway user account, then
> setting their DISPLAY NAME to "Stickman Ingman", trusting that enough people
> are stupid enough not to look at the real username and compare it with yours.

Yep. I believe this is totally possible for people to do. The FAQs
says it's against TOS to do so for the sake of impersonating someone
else. But as far as I know there is no technical limitation preventing
someone from doing so. I'm willing to accept the possibility of
troubles it will bring because of the freedom it offers in exchange.
If you aren't, you'll have to make some pretty compelling arguments
that convinces LL that the freedom isn't worth it, or can be preserved
through some other method. Convincing me doesn't need to be on your
todo list.

As a side note, I see where you're coming from. In another world, one
with a higher density of matchstick men, I'd agree with you. I think
LL would, too.

Stickman