[opensource-dev] Display names, again.

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Sat Aug 21 05:15:39 PDT 2010

I'm not a Linden, but I think the answers to your
questions exist before they are implemented :p.

> 1. Will there be procedures in place to prevent someone else to use my
> true avatar name as their display name?

No, the display name will be distinguishable by color or graphical-something
around it (that therefore cannot be faked or changed by changing the
display name).

> 2. Will there be procedures in place to prevent someone from using a
> display name that might be different from my true avatar name but for
> all visual verification looks like it, given how there are unicode
> characters that have a different code but look like regular
> characters?

That would be impossible, hence the use of colors or other markings
completely OUTSIDE the (control of the) displayname / username, see point 1.

> 3. Will there be procedures in place to prevent the case where someone
> uses a copyrighted name of a fictional character (like, for example,
> "Mickey Mouse" or "Clark Kent") as their display name?

I hope not. Once you're finished with filtering all welknown characters
in history, all company names, and all profanity, and then went on to
attempt to also filter anything that LOOKS like it (M1ckey Mous3),
the server would spend 99.5% of it's time on checking is display names
are allowed (and still fail).

> 4. If the answer to any of the above is not a clear and loud yes: Will
> there be procedures in place to protect the original holder of any
> true avatar name from legal damages after someone used their name as
> their display name for fraudulent uses?

I'm starting to feel sick.

"Mom! Paul drew 'Carlo' in the sand of the sandbox and then he said
'this is me!'. Now he's peeing on Mrs..." TATUUTATUUU *policemen storming
the sandbox and pushing totler 'Paul' face down in the sand 'YOU ARE
SURROUNDED! GIVE UP YOUR WATER PISTOL, heh, GIVE UP YOUR SUPER SOAKER
2010! ANYTHING YOU SAY WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU AND YOUR PARENTS!'

Welcome to America

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>