[opensource-dev] Malicious payloads in third-party, viewers: is the policy worth anything?

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Sun Aug 22 05:16:16 PDT 2010

I've reported emerald for violating this clause of the TPV policy:
"You must not launch Denial of Service (“DoS”) attacks, engage in
griefing, or distribute other functionality that Linden Lab considers
harmful or disruptive to Second Life or the Second Life community."

So, hopefully that'll be the end of it, hopefully......

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Michael Daniel <m.a.daniel at iup.edu> wrote:
> Since I am a student on summer break until next week, I have way too
> much time on my hands, and I like numbers (famous last words) so I did
> some analysis of modular systems attack on iheartanime.com.
>
> I think the amount of data involved has been understated in many
> discussions I've seen so far, so I'll show my work, but long story
> short:  4.2 terrabytes of data transfer are involved with this attack
> (2.1 tb up and 2.1 tb down).
>
> I used the screen cap from the following URL to find exactly what was
> downloaded every time somebody logged in with the emerald viewer during
> this attack:
> http://alphavilleherald.com/images/2010/08/modular-bing.jpg
>
> I used Google Chrome's inspect element feature to find the sizes of the
> files downloaded (right click, inspect element - resources - size).
>
> This is what I came up with:
>
> http://iheartanime.com/griffblog.php?article=omnomnomnomnom     163.20k
>  times 20 loads is 3264k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/emerald-explore-sounds.png
> 50.03k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/emerald-windows-disclosure.png        55.09kb
> http://iheartanime.com/images/emerald-mac-disclosure.png
> 66.90kb
> http://iheartanime.com/images/emerald-linux-disclosure.png
>    67.32kb
> http://iheartanime.com/images/imgsearch-v0.0.2.png
>     152.37k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/FRIENDLY%20GREETINGS.jpg        77.32k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/inertia-test.jpg
>              113.51k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/inertia-login.jpg    `
>            25.78k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/inuyertia.jpg
>            153.68k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/neillife.jpg
>                102.22k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/background-v2.png
>    130.64k
> http://iheartanime.com/images/background.png
>        77.40k
>
> Total size:  4336.26kb, or 4.33626mb per emerald login.
>
> According to the alphaville herald article, "Gazov told the Herald he
> saw 16,541,673 page hits referred by the Emerald login pages over three
> days".  I'm sure he has the server logs to back him up, so lets see what
> happens if we take him at his word (which I would do, as he seems pretty
> honest to me).
> link:
> http://alphavilleherald.com/2010/08/emerald-viewer-login-screen-sneak-ddos-attack.html
>
> I count 32 page hits per login, so we divide 16541673 by 32 to get the
> number of emerald logins during the attack.
> 16541673 hits / 32 page loads = 516927.28125 logins from emerald
>
> Since it's not an even number, Hazim's numbers must be off a bit.  That
> is no surprise, since his server was under such strain.  Lets round it
> up to 516928 logins from emerald during the attack.
>
> 510678 logins during the attack * 4.33626mb requested per login =
> [...]

“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.” -
Printcrime by Cory Doctrow