[opensource-dev] Malicious payloads in third-party viewers: is the policy worth anything?

L. Christopher Bird zenmondo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 10:39:01 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Jesse Barnett <jessesa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ignoring this and giving the all clear with no other action taken on the
> part of Linden Lab will instead demonstrate that the TPV is a worthless
> scrap of paper.

Correction, it only exist on paper if printed. The proper phrase is "a
worthless configuration of pixels"

The TPVP makes it clear what the consequences are for breaking the policy.
8c says:

"If a Third-Party Viewer or your use or distribution of it violates this
Policy or any Linden Lab policy, your permission to access Second Life using
the Third-Party Viewer shall terminate automatically. You acknowledge and
agree that we may require you to stop using or distributing a Third-Party
Viewer for accessing Second Life if we determine that there is a violation."

So either the lab will enforce this, or they will say "Well you are so
popular you can screw around all you want".  Is Emerald the viewer "too big
to fail"?

-- ZenMondo