[opensource-dev] Display names, again.

Moriz Gupte moriz.gupte at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 08:50:19 PDT 2010

Thanks David, share your sentiments and logic. Would not have overloaded the
list, but guess this is one of the venues that is heard most.
Totally agree with
"Lame Internet lawyers are lame.  How many lawsuits have their been over the
fact that it's easy to have a name that's very similar to someone else's?
 How many times has Plurk been sued because you can make your display name
be anything you like?  How many times has *any* online service been sued
because it made it too easy for one person to masquerade as someone else?
 What makes you think you have a better notion of the legal danger than the
Lab's legal staff does? "
Even my homeland prime minister (Mauritius) had his FB created by some geek,
he sued and lost... he just got the page removed. In Idaho, where I
currently stay, many republicans started using Twitter only because folks
created accounts in their name, and they joined the bandwagon later..., even
the Dalai Lama's FB and twitter accounts got created... yes there are
problems, but they got fixed once the genuine people raised the alarm. From
where I stand, this functionality will go a long way to improve the first
hour experience, because new so called 'serious/fed agency/corporate' users
getting pushed into SL, come with the expectation that its registration
process will be like any web 2.0 application they are already familiar with.
Then beyond this issue, once they are logged in, comes the problem of
identifying each other...real names is the only cue that will allow them to
connect (in that first hour). And I have used pretty much all the tricks of
the trade to make their rl names appear above their avatar but the process
is crazy at best. They can learn about whether to trust or not these names
etc... later on and learn how to use exercise caution and address the name
spoofing issues pretty much like what happens in rl and at similar
frequencies. There are no perfect systems,I recognize that display names
feels like a band aid solution, so be it. SL is a mega bandaid...no turning
back. Some decisions were made in the past which lead to the naming problems
we see today, every bad initial decision which has been integrated into
useful functionalities will take a very long time to die (fact of life).
@Oz Linden, I feel your pain of being submerged with noise, but
unfortunately this is the price you have to pay for listening. And you
cannot afford not to listen because there are gems in that noise that will
help your own work and LL in general. So take the noise as part of business,
that would be my advice to you. And I stop my noise here.

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM, David M Chess <chess at us.ibm.com> wrote:

> This post could be a classroom lesson in "how to alienate people and not be
> taken seriously".

> >>No.
> >

> > Wrong answer.
>
> Actually it's the right answer!  The question was "will there be procedures
> in place", and since the current Lab plan is that there won't be procedures
> in place, "No" is the right answer.
>
> You can argue that the current plan should be changed, but "wrong answer"
> just makes you sound faux-macho and confrontational.
>
> > I think the Lindens are underestimating the legal fallout that will ensue
> when names are abused.
>
> Lame Internet lawyers are lame.  How many lawsuits have their been over the
> fact that it's easy to have a name that's very similar to someone else's?
>  How many times has Plurk been sued because you can make your display name
> be anything you like?  How many times has *any* online service been sued
> because it made it too easy for one person to masquerade as someone else?
>  What makes you think you have a better notion of the legal danger than the
> Lab's legal staff does?
>
> > People are stating loud and clear what they want.
>
> Careful inspection will reveal that not everyone is saying the same thing.
>
> > Are you guys deaf?
>
> No, they aren't.  And this kind of insulting tagline just makes you look
> like a posturing child.
>
> fwiw...
>
> ___

*Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, *Research Associate Professor*, Idaho State
University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-282-5333
Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>,
LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>
, Play2Train <http://www.play2train.org>