[opensource-dev] Product Backlog addition request: Build fixes for 64bit out-of-source

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Thu Aug 26 12:23:28 PDT 2010

 Hi Aleric

On 08/26/2010 06:20 PM, Aleric Inglewood wrote:
> not withstanding testing-- I'd like to urge you to get this checked in
> ONE related SNOW-* jira at a time (except when they are totally related
> of course).
>
> Just wanted to express my "concerns" that all of these changes would
> end up as a single commit.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a single commit" ... "a single
pull", maybe? I /have/ created a separate changeset (a.k.a. "commit")
for almost each patch or SVN changeset I've used. (Everything else would
probably be impossible to review.) The relevant pJIRA issue IDs should
be listed in the commit messages, as well as the SVN commits (if any).

After CG mentioned Daggy Fixes
<http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/DaggyFixes> on IRC, I used that
technique, so apart from my first few sequential commits (and the
sequential commits I pulled from Techwolf) everything should be easy to
cherry-pick and/or backport.

Or did you mean I should have merged the single commits individually
into upstream instead of merging them together and merging the result
into upstream? If so, why? (It shouldn't matter, as far as I know.)

> I'd prefer to see them committed per corresponding jira patch,
(see above)

> and if the
> final commit is not near-100% the same as the original SNOW patch then
> that should be detailed clearly in the commit comment.
I think I've used "Boroondas Gupte (original patch by <other resident>)
<email>" as 'author' for stuff I had to modify and "Boroondas Gupte
(patch by <other resident>) <email>" (i.e. without 'original') for
patches I could apply essentially as-is. I don't know how consistent I
was at that, so I'd have to check that.

If required, I can re-do the commits with better indication of the
differences from the original patches, but with hg not allowing any
history rewriting, that would take me quite some time. (Though, much
less then I needed up to now, as I now know where to find all the needed
changes.)

cheers
Boroondas