[opensource-dev] Removal of the "MultipleAttachments" debug settings ?

Marine Kelley marinekelley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:45:14 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I am currently working at integrating the RLV code into the latest 2.1.2
viewer in "viewer-development". Some users might have noticed that the
"MultipleAttachments" debug setting was set to FALSE by default in order to
stay compatible with 1.x, because 1.x users cannot see attachments worn on
slots 1 and beyond, only slot 0 is rendered. So the feature is still rather
useless because since most of the users are still using 1.x, multiple
attachments are to be avoided. However having the option to choose whether
to activate it or not was a good idea. I even added a checkbox in the navbar
to set it to TRUE or FALSE in one click without having to open the debug
settings (but that version is not released).

And now what I'm seeing in the latest version worries me. The
MultipleAttachments debug setting is gone ! The viewer behaves as if it were
always TRUE. On the paper it makes sense, since 2.x is supposed to handle
multiple attachments natively and the sims have been updated to 1.40 (and
now 1.42) almost only for this reason. But... this is actually
counter-productive because now someone who tries 2.1 will soon discover that
most of their attachments are not showing to their friends. And that they
require more steps to change an outfit than before, because they now have to
explicitely remove attachments before wearing new ones.

For a viewer that has a lot of difficulties being adopted by the user base,
isn't this move a little backwards ? Why not set MultipleAttachments to TRUE
by default and let the user choose in the preferences or in the navbar as I
did ?

I for one would very much like to see the MultipleAttachments debug setting
come back and stay !

Marine