[opensource-dev] nametag opacity

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Fri Dec 3 03:28:09 PST 2010

On 12/03/2010 05:36 AM, Chuck Baggett wrote:
> Are the nametags fixed at 100 per cent opaque or are they of variable
> opacity?
>
> By nametags I mean avatar names and group titles.

The opacity is variable, but the control for the setting isn't obvious,
as it's labeled "bubble chat opacity", although it also applies to
nametags while not chatting and even when the bubble chat option is off.

    In Viewer 1.23:

   1. Open Preferences (*Ctrl-P*)
   2. Go to tab *Text Chat*
   3. Section *Bubble Chat* has an *Opacity* slider

    In Viewer 2.3 (current release):

   1. Open Preferences (*Ctrl-P*)
   2. Go to tab *Advaced*
   3. In the section with the *walking person* icon (sic!), below the
      *Bubble chat* checkbox, there is an *Opacity* slider

    In current viewer-development code:

Since the recent preferences overhaul (see STORM-31
<https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-31> and in particular
STORM-573 <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-573>)

   1. Open Preferences (*Ctrl-P*)
   2. Go to tab *Colors*
   3. Section *Bubble Chat* has an *Opacity* slider

The section should probably relabeled to reflect that the setting
applies to both, nametags and bubble chat. There were several issues
with the nametags and their transparency and color, recently:

    * STORM-584 <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-584> The
      settings didn't have any effect. The text color was just white.
    * Fixing this made tags unreadable for everyone who didn't set a
      custom color, because the default of the color setting was still
      black. (So you had black text on black background.)
    * STORM-667 <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-667> Even
      after the above was fixed, contrast was poor due to the text in
      the tag being semitrasparent.
          o The slider did only influence the background opacity. That's
            probably what it was supposed to do, but the
            (non-customizable) text opacity should have been fully opaque.
          o As far as I can tell by eye, this is fixed in latest
            viewer-development code.
    * On Mac, there were
      <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-667?focusedCommentId=224022&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-224022>
      (and maybe still are) issues that nametags would appear unreadable
      or not at all on ATi cards.
          o Is there a separate issue for this, yet?
    * VWR-24017 <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-24017> text on
      name tags is visible, even if the background of the nametag gets
      occluded by objects. I guess the underlying reason is the same as
      for why floating text is not occluded anymore (SH-489
      <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-489>)

STORM-584 <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-584> will probably
lead to further changes
<https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-584?focusedCommentId=225540&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-225540>,
which aren't in viewer-development, yet. (Text in the tag being
determined by the same settings as for the chat window, the "bubble
chat" color setting affecting the tag's background instead (hopefully
with yet again changed default, so we keep the contrast).)

Cheers,
Boroondas