[opensource-dev] Debugging Snowstorm under Linux x64 with GDB locks the whole X session

Monty Brandenberg monty at lindenlab.com
Wed Dec 29 12:30:55 PST 2010

On 12/29/2010 1:19 PM, Aleric Inglewood wrote:

> yes, this is a "known" problem: the viewer sometimes locks the X display,
> if then you halt it in the debugger you're toast.

I only have creaky old Debians at hand but wondered if those with
more modern distros with updated GTKs can work around it by
changing the 'gtk_debug_flags'.  There's now a GTK_DEBUG_NOGRABS
flag (1 << 12, I think).  Set that and play a bit.  No guarantees,
you'll need very recent libs and I don't know at what point in
execution you'll need to set that flag.  (The --gtk-debug and
--gdk-debug cmd options also drive this.)  But there it is...

--
Monty Brandenberg                                         617.401.2384
monty at lindenlab.com