[opensource-dev] Debugging Snowstorm under Linux x64 with GDB locks the whole X session

Monty Brandenberg monty at lindenlab.com
Thu Dec 30 08:39:57 PST 2010

On 12/29/2010 4:05 PM, Nicky D. wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Monty Brandenberg<monty at lindenlab.com>  wrote:
>> On 12/29/2010 1:19 PM, Aleric Inglewood wrote:
>>
>>> yes, this is a "known" problem: the viewer sometimes locks the X display,
>>> if then you halt it in the debugger you're toast.
>>
>> I only have creaky old Debians at hand but wondered if those with
>> more modern distros with updated GTKs can work around it by
>> changing the 'gtk_debug_flags'.  There's now a GTK_DEBUG_NOGRABS
>> flag (1<<  12, I think).  Set that and play a bit.  No guarantees,
>> you'll need very recent libs and I don't know at what point in
>> execution you'll need to set that flag.  (The --gtk-debug and
>> --gdk-debug cmd options also drive this.)  But there it is...
>>

> Thank you two for you replies. I will try the gtk debug env later.

If anyone does play with the env var on a system with *recent*
gtk libs, let us know what happens.  (We could probably use a
hints-and-tips page with stuff like this.)

Won't be any help to those with junk X ddxs or defective OS
support libs....

--
Monty Brandenberg                                         617.401.2384
monty at lindenlab.com