[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Thickbrick Sleaford thickbrick.sleaford at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 10:34:45 PST 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010 17:57:52 Kent Quirk (Q Linden) wrote:
> This makes me sad.
>
> I've been trying to have an open discussion about some of the design issues
>  in my office hours, specifically to understand the constraints and
>  requirements of the community. But every office hour seems to be followed
>  up by flames on this list and in other forums interpreting what was said
>  in the worst possible way.
>
> I'm afraid the tone and direction of this discussion are making it
>  impossible for us to talk about this project productively.

I think this is a good point in this budding flamewar to bring this up:
http://lwn.net/Articles/370157/
Josh Berkus' patented ten-step method on how to free a project of unwelcome
community involvement.

(A little) more seriously, if the current trend towards secrecy at LL is a
result of 3rd party viewers based on LL code "stealing" mindshare, it should
be pointed that the developers of those viewers chose that route mainly as a
result of LLs past lack of involvement with open source contributors, and
(again, past) opaque and SLOW process of patch submission.

To move this to a more productive direction, can you give a summary of what
Firefly is, for those of us who weren't at your office hour?

--
Thickbrick