[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Fri Feb 19 05:50:03 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 01:30:28PM +0000, Morgaine wrote:
> I would avoid your terminology though, because both kinds of script application
> employ "client-side scripting", both types create dynamic "extensions",  and
> both types can be implemented as "plugins" --- your terms directly describe the
> technologies that can be used in both types of application and don't
> distinguish between the two differing requirements.  It would just add to the
> confusion.

Plugins are inheritly unsafe and will have access to anything a normal
process has. If client-side scripting is going to be provided on a plugin
with the same access to the system, then it's still a plugin.

Hence, I see no problem talking about "plugins" for "trusted" applications
and not even mention scripting in that case (for now).

Then we can reserve the word client-side-scripting for third party /
downloaded scripts.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>