[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Morgaine morgaine.dinova at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:23:53 PST 2010

Indeed Rob!

Lua is a brilliant language for adding scripting to existing applications
--- it's designed expressly for embedding and extending, it has a clean
syntax, it is linguistically very powerful, it is very tiny (the whole thing
can add under 100KB to your application), it can run sandboxed or not as
desired, and it is one of the fastest pure scripting languages currently
available, a lot faster than say Python.

It is no surprise then that game developers worldwide flocked to it in
droves, and now it's one of the most common scripting languages found
embedded in games.  WoW fans use it daily as an intrinsic part of their WoW
client, and a huge community has grown up around Lua-powered interfaces for
that game.

So yes, I'm with you on the importance of Lua for client-side scripting of
the viewer.

However, advocating Lua as the sole means of scripting viewers would be just
as bad a mistake as advocating C# or CLR-targetted languages only.  It would
support only one part of the scripting community directly, while
discriminating against everyone else.  This is not necessary.

Instead, defining a socket-based API interface would allow effectively any
language to be used for scripting the viewer, since virtually all languages
today have socket capabilities.  That would certainly include Lua and C# and
Python and Perl and Java and Clojure and C/C++ and ObjectiveC and Smalltalk,
to name a few languages that this community uses regularly.

The only thing that we would have to agree on would be the set of messages
that cross the socket interface, and the set of functions and callbacks that
the messages would engage in the viewer.  That's the kind of productive
technical discussion we could be having with Lindens, if their design
process for client-side scripting were open.  It needs to be.

Morgaine.