[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 10:53:14 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net> wrote:

> There's more to a language then just the syntax. CLR-based Smalltalk is
> NOT real smalltalk, for example.
>
> There's no way except perhaps via F# to get something approaching
> smalltalk programming out of a CLR-based system.

Well Morgaine's socket based idea could over come this very easily. If
the API was exposed via a socket, LL could provide a plugin loader
much as they do for the MediaAPI now, if they want, this pluginloader
could be CLR based and the default LL implementation of plugins could
be mono assemblies. So the plugin loader could be directly used by any
language that can produce CLR binaries.

If someone else comes along who does not use CLR, they could just
directly use the socket API with what ever lanuaguage they wanted
either directly, or via another plugin loader, but importantly, in
their lanugage of choice.

Sandboxing could easily be provided by the default LL pluginloader so
that out of the box implementation provides a save environment for any
downloaded scripts. But someone else who wants to call native
functions can from, again, any thing they like if it supports sockets.

I think something along these lines could provide something close to
maximum flexibilty.

Regards

Robin