[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:12:57 PST 2010

On 2010-02-19, at 18:51, Rob Nelson wrote:

> My main problem with Socket-based thing is that it opens up all
> kinds of
> problems, ranging from outside apps screwing with the socket and doing
> stuff that the user has not authorized,

If the socket is bound to 127.0.0.1 then only applications on the
local machine can connect to and register with it.

> to simple security concerns (I'm
> sure as hell going to trust a readable
> Lua/LSL/shell/anything-other-than-LISP script more than a binary
> executable or shared library),

This mechanism would allow your script to be written in Perl, Python,
Seamonkey (standalone javascript), Lisp, VBscript, Applescript, Tcl,
Lua, Icon, even shell. They would not need to be binaries.