[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 03:16:28 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Thomas Shikami
<thomas.shikami at online.de> wrote:
> Ryan McDougall schrieb:
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Soft Linden <soft at lindenlab.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If you see any wording that's ambiguous about that, let us know.
>>>

>> Section 3.b.iii says that Third-party viewers must comply with the GPL license.
>>
>> What if the view is not licensed under the GPL at all -- say Apache 2.0?
>>
>> Cheers,

> It says, that Third-Party Viewers deriving from LL's GPLed viewer source
> must comply with the GPL license. That doesn't apply to libomv based
> viewers or pygop based ones or smalltalk or a complete reimplementation
> of it.

Actually it doesn't.

"By “Third-Party Viewer,” we mean any third-party software client on
any device that logs into our servers that support Second Life.
Third-Party Viewers include software for viewing Second Life, any chat
clients, utilities, bots, and proxies as well as applications that may
not be listed in our Viewer Directory."

Cheers,