[opensource-dev] TPV Policy makes Secondlife *content* incompatible with CC-SA licenses

Gigs gigstaggart at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 09:40:10 PST 2010

Mike Dickson wrote:
> Right. Person B has the responsibility to make available or point to an
> unrestricted source for the content they upload to Second Life.  The
> same with GPL'd content.  I don't see a reason why LL can't put
> restrictions on content distribution within the service. It's the person
> who imports the content that has the responsibility to insure that it
> meets the distribution requirements under which it's licensed.

That last part is correct, it is person B's responsibility not to
distribute the work in a way that places additional restrictions upon it.

Providing a URL to an unprotected version is not sufficient, because
Person B has no license to distribute a restricted version within Second
Life.  Including a URL doesn't magically grant them such a license to
distribute a version under terms other than the CC-SA allows.

-Jason