[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Wed Feb 24 16:43:25 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:05:57PM -0700, Lawson English wrote:
> MY concern is about prototyping viewers. I can certainly add a thing to
> timestamp a version string during login, but with smalltalk, I'm
> constantly tweaking the code *while* I'm connected to SL. Does this mean
> I have to log out every time I modify something in my squeak client just
> so I can change the version string?

Common sense again (see previous post, not claiming you're not using
common sense ;):

The whole version string is only needed in order to detect viewers
that are KNOWN bad. That is, LL is not going to make a list of
viewers that may connect, and everyone else is going to be barred;
they will contact devlopers of third party viewers with lots of
users and request changes, and when those changes are not made,
then they will bar the access of that viewer to the grid.

Thus, any viewer that doesn't have a large user base, like the
personal play toy of some developer, does not have to meet this
requirement: whatever it is, it is unknown to Linden Lab and THUS
they cannot have a reason to want to bar access of it. If your
viewer is very different from whatever you based it on then you
can just pick some unique, but constant, version string, and
that's it. </common sense>

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>