[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Thu Feb 25 03:18:23 PST 2010

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:57:21 +0100, Lance Corrimal wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 25. Februar 2010 11:38:19 schrieb Henri Beauchamp:
>
> > The problem is not about not being "prepared to put your identity to your
> > own doings", it's all about the cross referencing that search engines such
> > as Google allow: if I put my true name behind the Cool SL Viewer, then it
> > also means that anyone Googling that true name could find out what are my
> > kinks (profiles are also Googled), then who I am in Real Life, what's my
> > job, where I live, etc, etc... Would *you* be ready for this to happen to
> > *you* ?  I'm not !
>
> given the great work that you deliver with the cool viewer, me and a few
> sixpacks of beer wouldnt mind being able to google your RL location ;)

But then it is *my* decision to give away my true identity to people *I*
trust... and possibly invite them to drink those beers at my home. ;-)

It's very different from allowing "BigBrotheresque" things to happen by
giving away each and every most intimate detail about yourself for anyone
with an Internet connection to see you "naked" on the internet...

I know it's very much popular for now to open blogs where you say to the
world how bad you were constipated during the last week, or all sorts
of immensely interesting stuff like that, and that "social networks"
(actually a good way for commercial companies and even government
intelligence agencies to gather tons of data about you) where you give
up all sorts of details about your life are very popular, but I, for one
would never do such an irresponsible thing.

My guess is that we will soon hear about discriminations based on
private info gathered on Internet (Employee: "oh, why can't I get this
job, sir ?" - Employer: "Because you use your avatar in SL to rolepay
BDSM, you sicko !").

Again, feel free to call me paranoid, but I'm better be safe than
sorry...

Henri.