[opensource-dev] FAQ posted for Third Party Viewer Policy

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Sat Feb 27 01:32:31 PST 2010

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:14:52 -0600, Soft Linden wrote:

> There's now a FAQ for the Linden Lab Policy on Third Party Viewers:
> http://bit.ly/caedse

Very good job, Soft, thank you ! :-)

However, there are a couple of points that I think should be addressed
or precised in this FAQ:

1. The trademarking rules as presented in the TPV are in contradiction
   with Linden Lab's own trademark policy. In particular:
      5.b.i You must not have a Third-Party Viewer name that is
                       “________ Life” where “________” is a term or series of terms.
   Is in contracdiction with:
   http://secondlife.com/corporate/brand/trademark/unauthorized.php
   in which we see that "[anything] Life" is not forbidden as long
   as [anything] does not contain "Second".
   I would call such a trademarking a "domain trademarking" (like
   a domain name for an Internet site address"), but I doubt very much
   such a rule would be legal, even in USA...

2. in the FAQ, to the question "I do not want a publicly available
   listing in the Viewer Directory to disclose my own name or contact
   information.  Is it possible for the public listing page to show
   just the brand name of my third-party viewer?", the answer states
   that name and contact info must be provided to Linden Lab, however
   the type of "contact information" is not precised. An email from
   an ISP account (not an anonymous Yahoo/Hotmail/Google/whatnot
   account, of course) *is* a contact information that is sufficient
   to legally identify the developper in case of any action against
   them. But right now, the full snail mail address is required,
   which is in violation with some international laws protecting user
   privacy (notably the French law "Informatique et Liberté").

I hope to see these two points addressed.

Many thanks in advance !

Henri.