[opensource-dev] FAQ posted for Third Party Viewer Policy

Morgaine morgaine.dinova at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 27 13:00:53 PST 2010

You only covered textures there, Zha.

Items made in Second Life are composite objects that encapsulate geometry,
textures, notecards, and often scripting, and it is the whole composite unit
that is being licensed as open content in the scenario being discussed
here.  What's more, it may include items that other open developers have
released in SL under an open license as well, not only self-made
components.  (The suggested new FAQ.16 addresses this.)

Clearly none of this is captured by putting textures on a website.  What's
more, putting the composite objects on a website cannot be done until after
you export them, so it's a chicken and egg situation, and this is why a
clause permitting open-licensed exports is required in the first place.

Finally, your website idea reduces the opportunity for content sharing at
which SL is so good.  Open content creators should not be discouraged from
building and learning with other people's open content by keeping it
off-world on websites.  Such content is already in-world in SL today (lots
of it) under appropriate licenses.

Note that I have carefully and explicitly placed the responsibility for
compliance with FAQ.15 and with open licensing on the shoulders of the
licensor.  You mention that mechanisms to handle this do not exist within
SL, but none are needed --- they don't exist in RL either, so it is handled
in RL by enclosing a license.  That works perfectly well here too, and it is
already being done today.  It needs to be covered in the TPV+FAQ.

Morgaine.