[opensource-dev] SLPlugin lagging my viewer like crazy, maybe it was a bad idea from the start?

Lance Corrimal Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de
Mon Mar 8 00:39:00 PST 2010

Hey folks,

I've been noticing the following behaviour (on linux):

after some time logged i on snowglobe (latest svn checkout of 2009/trunk) I
find that there are several copies of SLPlugin running in the background, and
each of them loaded every single browser plugin installed on my system.
I doubt that I have come across prims that have flash or pdf files on urls on
them (yet), since the general population has only just started playing with
that.

Anyhow, the result of all those (useless?) processes in the background is
heavy swapping, manifesting itself in "lag like hell" (framerate drops from
around 25 to 1.5).
A relog fixes it (of course), but only for a short time.

...Add the possibility of all those nasty flash exploits running wild, and the
whole "Fully interactive html on a prim" idea suddenly has a slightly rotten
smell for me... which gets seriously stronger when I look at viewer 2.0 with
its "html on an attachment irregardless of parcel media settings".

Anyways, shouldn't SLPlugin exit when it is done doing what it thought it
should be doing?

bye,
LC