[opensource-dev] [server-beta] Script Memory ManagementAlgorithm

Kitty sldev at catznip.com
Tue Mar 9 10:29:17 PST 2010

> It might be possible to add display of memory currently used
> as well, but what's the use case for it?

It would allow residents to independently review the imposed script limits.

Another use case would be because people *are* going to start banning
residents based on what the script limits UI says (just like people are
ejected/banned over ARC). If some random resident hasn't spent hours and
hours trying to see if everything they've bought in the past few years
doesn't have an update for it that uses the upcoming "llReserveMemory" they
will end up banned from random places for wearing the wrong item.

Simply reporting "actually in use" for *other* residents even though the
individual limit is against a "hypothetical maximum limit" would do a whole
lot to help with that. A Mono script would still count as 64Kb against that
avie's personal limit, but anyone else trying to look for information would
be seeing say 8Kb because that's how much it's actually using and actual
usage is really the only thing parcel and sim owners are (or should) care
about when it comes to other people's attachments.

> Likewise, it would be useful for verifying sellers' signs'
> claims immediately after purchase, should a scripted object
> be displayed as a static, unscripted object. The ability to
> see the number of prims in a linked set helps similarly for
> advertised prim counts.

It likely won't take very long for the sellers of scripted gadgets to
include "script usage" information, but it will be many months before
someone selling - for example - earrings with a texture change script is
going to do the same or before they even find out that there is such a thing
as script limits.

The examples of "troublesome" cases that require script limits in the first
place never seem to be the highly technical kind, but rather the every day
"mundane" things like hair, shoes, jewelry, prim skirts, etc. So the people
who are least likely to include that information, or even know that
something like script limits exists.

I already have literally hundreds of "script-in-every prim" things I've
bought - where I can't even delete the scripts because of a change to "no
modify" some time back - that might just be good for relocating to the trash
6 months from now. Moving forward, noone should find out *after* purchase
whether or not what they just bought is something they'll be able to wear,
or whether they'll see the dreaded "Not enough script resources available to
attach object!" and know that they just threw money out the window.

When someone picks "Buy", the script limit/usage for each individual object
inside of the prim should really just be right there alongside the
permissions the item will have.
Use of green/yellow/red from ARC would make things even simpler still for
the average resident: anything using less than 1/38th of the per-avatar
limit (limit divded by # possible attachments) shows green, several
multiples is yellow and anything more is red.

Kitty