[opensource-dev] Script Memory Management Algorithm

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Thu Mar 11 03:39:45 PST 2010

It makes little sense to me to put time into convincing a random non-Linden.
And since LL is going to ignore the whole discussion/idea anyway, I have
better things to do. Sorry.

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:56:36AM -0500, Lear Cale wrote:
> If it were a simple change, I'm sure it would be considered.  What
> you're suggesting sounds like would require a massive rewrite.  I
> agree that a dynamic system would be much better, easier to code and
> less wasted memory.  But without detailed knowledge of how the system
> is currently implemented, it's not possible to assess how difficult it
> would be to change from a fixed allocation scheme to a dynamic one.
>
> It's easy to ask for changes without regard to the cost.  LL needs to
> consider the cost, in terms of effort and risk.  Can you do a
> cost/benefit analysis on your suggestion?  Or are you just being
> immovably stubborn?

There would be a one-time cost to write it. I doubt that needed
four to eight times the amount of physical RAM weight up against
any (possible) maintenance cost (which I estimate to be neglectable
in the first place).

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>