[opensource-dev] Request for comments aboutllSetAgentEnvironment / SVC-5520

Kitty sldev at catznip.com
Fri Mar 12 08:11:12 PST 2010

> And Carlo has a great suggestion that WL settings should be
> supported as inventory items, similar to LMs.  (Going to make
> a JIRA for that, Carlo?)

That was supposed to be the idea all along:

"SHAREABLE settings! Since SL is a social world, we think you'll agree it'd
be great - and time-saving - to swap skies and related settings. Imagine
coming up with a gloriously surreal sweep straight out of Koyaanisqatsi and
Baraka's love-child and wanting to show it off, like you can with other
inventory item types." (May 2007)

"In the future, we plan to allow estate owners and managers to change them,
as a dramatic evolution of the current dayphase controls found in World menu
> Region/Estate > Estate tab." (May 2007)

"There is more exciting work planned for WindLight, including estate
controls for custom skies/water and making skies/water available as
tradeable inventory items. Stay tuned for more info." (November 2007)

Then Windlight became the "main viewer" in April 2008 and I don't think
we've heard about it since (including any of the other planned improvements
like clouds casting shadows on the terrain, lunar cycles, post-processing
effects and a better cloud simulator).