[opensource-dev] Snowglobe 2.0^H^H^H1.3 way forward?

Soft Linden soft at lindenlab.com
Fri Mar 12 08:47:57 PST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Argent Stonecutter
<secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-12, at 07:45, Aleric Inglewood wrote:
>> I'm even disappointed by the sheep that instantly started to reappy
>> all ignored 1.x patches and are working their ass off to get 2.0 to
>> compile and run... What is the use? Are you going to use it yourself?
>
> So you think the way forward to Snowglobe should be to ignore 2.x and
> see about backporting the 2.x functional improvements to 1.3.x?
>
> What would Linden Lab do if people actually started doing that?

We would be glad that people had another choice of viewers, of course.
Different people have different tastes. I still use a Snowglobe
1.3-based viewer in my free time because I'm more of a text person
than an icon person. For a long time, I was even patching in the old
communicator dialogs to save a little screen space.

Other Lindens have already taken to the 2.0 interface and don't like
going back. With infinite resources, we would probably keep supporting
both in order to keep curmudgeons like me happier. Since we can't
cover every last interest though - the code's out there.

With larger features like mesh coming along, know that you'll be
signing up for an awfully large chunk of porting work though.