[opensource-dev] Snowglobe 2.0^H^H^H1.3 way forward?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 09:25:48 PST 2010

On 2010-03-12, at 10:59, Soft Linden wrote:
> Porting the desired parts of the old UI forward to 2.x would be a lot
> easier than porting ongoing 2.x features backward to 1.3. I wouldn't
> be surprised if you found there were just a couple dialogs you really
> wanted back. Bring the old communicate window back and embed the
> sidebar items in stand-alone floaters? You might even be able to get
> the latter part into Snowglobe if it's minimally invasive and done as
> a preference option.

The only thing that worries me about this approach is that there's a
lot of fine-tuning in the UI details of the old interface, like the
focus behavior of the chat bar, that seem to be hard to make work
consistently moving forward without a lot of hacking... based on how
easily it seems to be to break it. This isn't just a feature, it's an
all-over behavior.

Here's things I consider pretty much key:

* chat bar focus
* chat bar size
* simple chat overlay (single background element, no badges, etc)
* Location *on title bar* so you can get rid of the browser-style bars
* IMs in a window. REALY in a window.
* chat bar on chat floater
* No sidebar

What have I missed?