[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Tori C. holydoughnuts at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 13:10:57 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Kent Quirk (Q Linden) <q at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> We actually believed we were doing something the community would really appreciate -- getting the source out there the same day as beta. And yet somehow that became something bad. People keep repeating that "it's closed source".

There is some appreciation out here! Some of us are happily running
2.0 on PPC Macs and that wouldn't have been possible without the
sources. Kind of funny, but end user hostility pretty quickly put the
damper on any enthusiasm we had for sharing that porting work, and
performance tweaks wanted by the platform's shortcomings, outside a
small group of friends.