[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Thomas Grimshaw tom at streamsense.net
Sun Mar 14 18:29:16 PDT 2010

This post is likely to incur some feelings of emotions in a lot of you;
I ask that you bear with me and be open minded towards these words. I
recognise that many of you won't agree with me; it is but an attempt to
try and shine a searchlight into the hysteria.

*The Stark Truth*

Firstly, a reminder of the stark truth which has already been presented
in this thread. Every single DRM technology which has been implemented
has been broken - CSS, BluRay's AACS and BD+, Apple's FairPlay, Windows
Media DRM, they're all broken wide open.  Any content which is delivered
to the viewer can be copied.

*But we need DRM, right?

*Well, no. In fact, DRM has been a major contributing factor to the
incredibly widespread problem of music piracy.  I don't mind admitting
that i've downloaded some albums before from a website.  Did I do this
because I don't have money?  No.  Did I do this because I don't want to
spend money on music? No. I did it because I wanted to have lossless
FLAC files on my portable player, and iTunes and alternatives only
offered DRM-encrypted low-bitrate rubbish.

*Piracy is a war of convenience.*

In order to appropriately address this problem, you need to take a step
back and ask yourself exactly /why/ people commit copyright fraud. This
can be for any number of reasons, including:

 - They don't want to wait for something.
 - It's easier to pirate something than it is to find it and buy it.
 - The merchant doesn't have a sensible price structure. This isn't the
same as "I don't want to pay" - most of the time they DO want to pay,
but not an obscene price
 - The content is too restricted and they can't use it
 - They dont' know they're doing it (victims of the below)
 - To make money.

The only "real" pirates in this circle of intellectual property
violation are those who are doing it in order to make a profit - but
this is a tiny, tiny proportion, and also the most manageable case.

*Don't attack your customers.

*Let's observe Microsoft Windows Vista. Microsoft spent years and many
millions of dollars building a strong product activation system for
Vista. This was a major release for Microsoft, and they were determined
to stave piracy - so much so that they ended up having to drop features
and rush the QA process significantly.

Did it work?  It was a disastorous failure.  If one wants to pirate
Vista now, one can just download an image from many hundreds of torrent
sites, and the images install with absolutely no intervention required -
these images have simply ripped out the DRM so that the "end-user"
pirate doesn't even notice that activation ever existed.

The only people who are actually affected by the DRM are Microsoft's
genuine customers.  http://tinyurl.com/yjhom3t*

Know your enemy.

*I own and even have developed software that can copy any content from
second life.  Have I ever used this to violate copyright? Nope, I just
didn't want to spend time building in content protection when the
software was only for my use (to export my own builds, animations etc to
opensim).

The point is this - the public is not your enemy.  Just because the
content can be copied, it doesn't mean that people will do it.  I'm not
talking about deterrents - if someone decides to do it, they can and
they will - i'm talking about our target audience, the citizens of
Second Life. Most users of "copybot" viewers are caught and banned
because of a report by a member of the community - not the creators.
Only a very tiny portion of Second Life users rip content.

*So what can we do?

*Please excuse a possibly callous tone - but STOP whining and start
thinking outside of the box.  You *will never be able to stop piracy
completely* - so don't even try. I've already explained why I think that
piracy is a war of convenience, and the solution is simple - make your
content more convenient.

- Maximise availability. Have multiple store locations, all visible in
search using sensible keywords.  List your item on e-commerce sites such
as xstreet.
- Maximise accessibility. Keep your stores lag-free, don't use silly
teleport routing, and make your store organisation transparent.
- Maximise attraction. Make sure every one of your products is very
clearly described, with a very clear demonstration so that people know
what they're buying.
- Don't overprice.  By all means, make a profit, but consider the real
value of your product - the better value for money your product is, the
less people will be tempted by stolen goods.
- Don't intimidate your customers.  For goodness sake, shut off those
stupid "copybot protection" scripts (they don't even work), and take
down those copyright notices. If these people are in YOUR store, it
means they're not in a store selling pirated stuff. Treat them with respect.
- Maximise support. Keep your genuine customers very well cared for.
Word of mouth is the biggest weapon in your armoury. Keep product
updates rolling, if applicable.
- Keep permissions sensible.  I can't believe the number of times i've
bought an item and it's been "no mod" for no proper reason, and I can't
resize it to fit my avatar.
- Innovate. Keep producing, keep making new stuff. Every new thing you
sell is another reason for people to come to your store and not a
thief's location.

*What about those people selling my stuff?

*If they're actually trying to profit from your intellectual property,
obviously they dont' deserve any of the respect mentioned above.
Fortunately, the lab respond quickly to properly formatted DMCA
complaints and takedowns, and almost always action them before the thief
has had time to withdraw the funds.

Be vigilant, keep a watchful eye on xstreet.  If you find a violation,
gather evidence.. don't contact the seller, or they'll panic and move
their stuff elsewhere. Submit a properly formed DMCA complaint to linden
lab with the appropriate evidence, and the problem will be gone.

*So, what's the big point here?

*Making your stuff LESS available and restricting its use with genuine
customers is COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.  Using the methods listed above, YOU can
control the marketplace in a moral manner without aggrovating your
customers. Some theft will slip through the net, but if you are smart
this will be a very small amount - and it will serve as advertising for
your brand.