[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Mon Mar 15 15:57:30 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 04:22:58PM -0600, Maya Remblai wrote:
> Not true. See the following example that actually happened to me:
>
> Person A rips a large number of products, including mine. He boxes them
> and gives them away, for free, claiming he has my permission (which he
> doesn't). Now, the total value of my products involved was $150 USD. If
> he only gave the box to 10 people (it was actually more than that) I'm
> now out $1500 USD. Person A has done a huge amount of monetary damage to
> me by taking away sales.

Not entirely true, first of all, he didn't steal any money from
you, nor any goods; unless you suddenly saw a significant drop
in revenue then nothing really happened, financially spoken.

It certainly isn't true that if he did NOT give that box to
those ten people that all ten would have come to you and spend
L$ 40,000 in your shop.

In fact, most people spend a fixed amount of money in SL. If
they get anything for free on top of that, it doesn't cause
them to spend less real money.

So, surely, you didn't get any MORE money because of this..
but you didn't *lose* $1500 either, not even a fraction of that.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>