[opensource-dev] Off-Topic Emails

Jonathan Irvin djfoxyslpr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 06:13:18 PDT 2010

* I'm probably going to get flamed for this *

Egos aside, folks.

I rely on the scripting, open-source, and sl-beta mailing lists to interact
with peers on technical topics related to the mailing list I'm subscribed
to.  This is a great platform for networking as well as learning about new
ways to do things and even interact with Linden Labs.  One thing I love is
hearing all the different ways to accomplish things and hearing the new
things the Lindens are throwing out into the wild.

That being said...

Lately, I've seen many of you light your keyboards on fire with the things
said on the opensource mailing list.
Either you are hating on LL or you are hating on people that don't agree
with you.
In any case, even with gmail, you are inflating my mailbox & wasting
bandwidth with your opinions.
Calm down, there are better things in life to be concerned about right now.

I *assume* that we are all adults here so I'd expect you all to act
professionally.  Yes, I said professionally.
Believe it or not, whether you are using your RL name or SL name, you are a
professional on some level or another.

You represent yourself.  You represent Second Life including Linden Labs.
Just being a resident means you are apart of it all...and all that comes
with it.

So, and I believe I speak for all on this:

   1. Be professional and courteous.
   2. Think positive.
   3. Don't blame others for your problems.
   4. Don't blame Linden Labs, Lindens, the SL Client for XYZ.
   5. If you think something should be fixed, take initiative to fix it.
   Get people involved, network, develop, etc.
   If your idea gets rejected, take your feedback responsibly.  Rethink it,
   if possible, or put it on the backburner for later.
   Don't lash out because others don't feel the same way about your idea.
   6. If you don't someone's way of thinking, provide counter-points as
   needed, but don't lash out because your ego was hurt.
   7. If you can't be professional or LL or SL has you at your wits end,
   just uninstall your client, leave the mailing list, and save us all
   bandwidth and time.

I'm not trying to offend any one and if you are offended by what was said,
please close the email.
Just to save you some time, if you need to vent, vent to a blog, facebook,
twitter, etc.  Venting here to me will just fall on deaf ears and you will
be wasting your time making a point in the first place.

While this email may not fix the off-topic posts, hopefully it will remind
everyone that we are in a professional environment and it does behoove us to
act accordingly.

Otherwise, we'll never get anywhere.  Personally, I can see why LL doesn't
want to work with us.  Think about what they have to deal with!

That's my L$2.

-JI