[opensource-dev] Request for clarification on mailing list guidelines

Sheet Spotter sheet.spotter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 06:38:53 PDT 2010

It was my understanding that [opensource-dev] is the place to open
discussion on issues of interest to all developers, but that detailed
discussions were expected to occur in other venues, like JIRA.

The policies and guidelines for this mailing list can be found here:

I want to draw attention to one particular guideline.

If a topic generates more than five replies in less than 24 hours, it's time
to redirect that conversation to one of our other tools, either the wiki,
the bug tracker, or a thread in the appropriate forum.

There are a few discussions occurring in [opensource-dev] which have been
occurring for a considerable time. These discussions each have a JIRA entry
that deals with the specific issue.

The JIRA provides an open forum for the public discussion of important
issues. All interested parties are able to engage in a full, open discussion
of every aspect of each issue.

Participants in the discussion can "watch" the JIRA issue, which will
promptly inform them via email of any additions or changes.

Supporters of the JIRA issue can vote for the issue, with higher voted
issues carrying more weight.

The ongoing discussions of some issues are creating a large volume of
activity that may not be of interest to all [opensource-dev] participants.
The guidelines for this mailing list encourage moving theses discussions to
JIRA.

Are these lengthy discussions encouraged to continue in [opensource-dev] or
in other venues, such as JIRA?

Sheet Spotter